How to Become an Affiliate
In 1974, Catholics United for Life began praying the Rosary at Santa Rosa (CA) Memorial Hospital where abortions were being performed. We reasoned that we might not stop abortion on any particular day, but we could save lives that day.
In 1978, we encountered our first free-standing abortion mill. Every day that abortions were performed there, we were present to offer alternatives to mothers. We called this “sidewalk counseling.” In those early days, hearts were not so hardened and many babies were actually saved.
Members of CUL began traveling throughout the United States to teach others to sidewalk counsel. Threatened with civil law suits against this baby-saving work, in 1984 we joined with Patrick Monaghan, then-general counsel for the Catholic League, and Dr. Charles Rice, Notre Dame law professor, to form a new CUL project, Free Speech Advocates, for the legal protection of pro-life advocates, especially sidewalk counselors. (add link to aclj.org)
This enabled us to establish a CUL affiliate program assuring members that CUL could offer legal protection if there were any law suits, harassment or other threat to their work for life.
Today affiliates are diversified and fight abortion in various ways. (add link to affiliates listing)
CUL affiliates agree to:
- follow all the teachings of the Church, especially the full moral teaching of Humanae Vitae and the Gospel of Life;
- refrain from any and all tortuous activities in the name of Catholics United for Life
- make a yearly report of activities
- maintain a good relationship with their local ordinary
- attempt to find a reliable priest or deacon spiritual director
Affiliation requires the group to:
- provide references and information in our application form
- make application for an Employer Identification Number
- name the affiliate under the title of Catholics United for Life
Benefits of affiliation are:
- identity as an organization that faithfully holds to all the doctrinal and moral teachings of the Catholic Church
- tax-exempt status as a non-profit organization
- legal counsel
- free Catholic and prolife literature from CUL/New Hope Publications *
- availability of pro-life speakers for events (add link to speakers)
- a monthly affiliate newsletter
- an affiliate page on the CUL website
* New affiliates will receive a generous packet of literature from CUL-New Hope Publications. They will thenceforth receive an annual coupon for ordering further useful materials.
Present Catholics United for Life Affiliates that have web sites -
Blessed Mother Teresa
- National Prayer Beakfast
Many people are very, very concerned with the children of India, with the children of Africa where quite a few die of hunger, and so on. Many people are also concerned about all the violence in this great country of the United States. These concerns are very good. But often these same people are not concerned with the millions who are being killed by the deliberate decision of their own mothers. And this is what is the greatest destroyer of peace today – abortion which brings people to such blindness.
And for this I appeal in India and I appeal everywhere – “Let us bring the child back.” The child is God’s gift to the family. Each child is created in the special image and likeness of God for greater things – to love and to be loved. In this year of the family we must bring the child back to the center of our care and concern. This is the only way that our world can survive because our children are the only hope for the future. As older people are called to God, only their children can take their places.
But what does God say to us? He says: “Even if a mother could forget her child, I will not forget you. I have carved you in the palm of my hand.” We are carved in the palm of His hand; that unborn child has been carved in the hand of God from conception and is called by God to love and to be loved, not only now in this life, but forever. God can never forget us….
Please don’t kill the child. I want the child. Please give me the child. I am willing to accept any child who would be aborted and to give that child to a married couple who will love the child and be loved by the child…
I know that couples have to plan their family and for that there is natural family planning.
The way to plan the family is natural family planning, not contraception.
In destroying the power of giving life, through contraception, a husband or wife is doing something to self. This turns the attention to self and so it destroys the gift of love in him or her. In loving, the husband and wife must turn the attention to each other as happens in natural family planning, and not to self, as happens in contraception. Once that living love is destroyed by contraception, abortion follows very easily.
I also know that there are great problems in the world – that many spouses do not love each other enough to practice natural family planning. We cannot solve all the problems in the world, but let us never bring in the worst problem of all, and that is to destroy love. And this is what happens when we tell people to practice contraception and abortion.